|Domestic Cookery by E. Lea, 1869 edition|
This recipe was very challenging to get to work properly. The ingredients are vague to say the least so it took me several attempts with different amounts of cornmeal, flour, yeast, etc. I may not have produced the results Lea would have wanted but they are tasty.
- 2 Cups Whole or Reduced 2% Fat Milk
- 1.5 Cups Stone-Ground Cornmeal (Yellow or White)
- 1 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Cup Whole Grain Pastry Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- Heat the milk to 105º - 115º F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the yeast into the cornmeal.
- Add the heated milk to the cornmeal/yeast mixture and whisk together very well.
- Add the flour and salt and whisk. Then, add the egg.
- Cover the bowl and set in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour.
- Grease two muffin pans with oil. Place them in the oven and heat to 375º F.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter into each muffin cup, filling them about half-way.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until the tops are dry and set.