|Bangor Brownies, c. 1912|
- The Service Club of Chicago printed a recipe for “Bangor Brownies”in its 1904 club cookbook.
- Here is a recipe for Bangor Brownies from Lowney's Cook Book from 1912:
3. Fanny Famer's Brownies:
For the recipe for this blog, I decided to make Lowney's Bangor Brownies because I like the way the recipe combines the old flavors of molasses with the new idea of chocolate. It's definitely a winner!
Lowney's Bangor Brownies
- 3 Ounces Chocolate Chips (I used 60% Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips, but you can use unsweetened which was probably what was called for in the original recipe)
- 4 Tablepoons (1/2 Stick) Salted Butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Nuts (optional)